Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shelstones!

Meet the Shelstones! What the heck I know....
As you know each year on Labor Day weekend we have our fabulous Gifford Reunion!
This years theme, Cartoon Characters. Our family decided we would be the Flinstones, but since our Grandfathers name is Sheldon, we made it the Shelstones. Growing up he had a nickname of Shed so we werent from Bedrock, we were from Shedrock! Clever!

This year we planned ahead! It was so nice to have our own huge tent! A few months back we recieved a Costco catalog in the mail with a sweet deal on a Coleman tent. Of course we jumped on it and scored it for about $60 less than its selling for.
We also made sure that Eric put in for that Friday off. Every year we work the Friday and get on the road late at night.
So this time we drove up Thursday early evening, made it there by 10 with an hour stop in the St George Walmart. ... special special people....
We were only the second people up there so we scouted out a sweet spot!
Oh and dont get too excited because even though, "full battery" and "camera" were on my list and crossed off, I didnt take a single picture. Whoops.
Thursday afternoon, I packed everything but Erics clothes. I had the car just about loaded and ready to go. Eric got off a little early and we were on the I-15 by 5:00pm without traffic!
Friday morning Eric woke up early, perhaps about 6am. and set up my sisters tent she had sent with us. They got in Way late Friday night.... wait I should say way early Saturday morning and Im sure they enjoyed not having to set up a tent in the dark.
So Eric set it up by himself, while I was passed out in the tent.
Once I was up I busted out the muffins and we had breakfast.
No one was up there still so I read my book all day and Eric Cleaned both of our guns and cleared out bushes that grew in the middle of camp.
It was a nice lazy day.
We were a bit bored and needed ice so we drove down the mountain for a good hour to kill time and hope that when we returned someone would be there. Of course not!! We sat alone for another hour or two.
I never knew how jumpin the party was Friday evening cause we were always so late, but it was fun to be there when others arrived.
Saturday Morning we ate breakfast and of course... headed for the skeetshoot.
Now keep in mind I have strayed away from soda and I push my self to drink lots and lots of water. So with that said.
We go down to the shooting area and set up our chairs and sign up for the shoot.
This is my favorite thing about the reunion. I've been shooting since I was 14 so this is 11 years now. Crazy, who give a 14 year old a gun? My dad!
I prepared myself before I went down by grabbing more waters, fruit leathers, and a muffin incase I got hungry. Before the shoot I thought the women would be up soon so I stood waiting for our turn.
There were about 2 rotations before I got to shoot but once it was my turn I was ready... sort of. I downed a good portion of my water and got on the line.
It was hot and I was wearing a fabulous Shelstone Orange Tshirt like the rest of my family. The way the rotation went this year is, 5 shooters, 5 stations, 2 shots at each. Easy enough but it seemed so long. I remember getting to the 3rd station and then I wasnt feeling so hot. I shrugged it off and kept going... Then I woke up in a trailer with almost my whole family around me.
Here's what happened, so I am told.
I got to my 2nd to last post and I guess handed my gun to Eric and dove for the bushes. Emptied my inners and started to walk up to camp. Eric said at that time he grabbed our chairs and guns and would follow up. My brother in law Chris walked with me a little ways up the road when I was throwing up again... or something. My sister in law Annette drove by on a Quad and they put me on the back and thats where I just went limp according to reporters.
Once up to camp a group of guys were rallied to help get me in a trailer. Once in there I received a neck cooler, a blessing, a nasty Capri sun (that I remember), water and an IV. After the blessing is when I came to but I still dont remember much about it. I know my brother in law Chris was in my face when I woke up and soon I had my dad, Eric and my brother Kevin. Oh and another guy but I have forgotten his name. I guy this other guy used to be an EMT for so long and is now the Captain of a Las Vegas fire station. Lucky me he was there. Also My brother Kevin has had training in things like this. He is the one with the medic kit with the IV.
After a lot of fussing, water,a small fan, and the AC in the trailer, I was doing better, still just bleh though.
I wasnt dehydrated, but they were putting it together that being pregnant, at a high elevation, lack of iron, the sun and a fabulous orange shirt it was heat exhaustion. Woo!
Needless to say I wasnt doing much the rest of the day or the next. In fact I slept through most of them.

After that was all said and done, I didnt place in the skeet shoot, I didnt even finish my turn, I missed the auction, and I couldnt make it through the skits.
That made it sort of sucky but relaxing was nice.
This year we stayed to Monday, when usually we head home Sunday afternoon. It was fun to get up and take down camp at a slow pace.

All in all it was a good trip, minus the excitement.
But I am doing better now and I have a sweet looking bruise from the IV!
This was a picture from on the way home through Zion National Park. They are redoing the roads and have these stop signs through out the park. It took a good 5-10 minutes to get through each. I just found it odd to see a stop light in the park. Oh and don't mind Yoga lady doing her yoga. she got out of the car at each light.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a family reunion!! Glad you and fetus are doing ok and that you had some dudes with sweet medic skills on hand! Take it easy lady!

    ReplyDelete