Friday, September 19, 2008

PULL!!!



Every Labor day weekend we have a huge family reunion. This is my Grandpa's family on my mothers side. Each year one of the original kids' family host the reunion. We all pay due to up keep our property but we rotate who is in charge of planning and events. This year we had a western theme and each family was to come up with a camp name. We were Shed's herd. My grandpa's name is Sheldon and his siblings called him Shed. So we were cows basically. We all got black and white bandannas that we wore around camp. Saturday is the day for events. Starting at 8am Utah time/7am Vegas time we have a skeet shooting contest. It is my favorite! I started when I was 14.

My first time shooting a shot gun and I got fourth among some seriously red neck ladies haha. Then my 2nd year I won 2nd place and the rest is history ladies and gents! Since 2003 I have been #1. Its fun to hear everyone cheer you on and say She's a sharp shooter and ask Eric how it feels to know your wife is a better shot... His reply "Great! That just means if someone breaks in at night I don't have to get up!" hahaha I was followed by my sister Shelly for Second and sister in law for 3rd in the womens. My niece/mini me got 1st place in young womens! That's my girl! It was a lot of fun. Meanwhile the kids were doing races and games up at our pavilion. I haven't been to those since 2000. :) Saturday night we have a talent night. There didn't seem to be many plays like normal. One of my mom's uncles had passed away about 2 weeks before the reunion. I was heart broken. He was always happy and made you feel good. All of his grand kids got up and sang his favorite song, "Waltzing Matilda" It was neat. Our family did a dance to a song called cows. We wore top had and had canes. It was a crack up


trying to fit us all on there. Then after Eric went to shoot his potato gun that he made and I stayed up and watched people dancing. We took the puppies with us. They absolutely loved it! We let them run free and they were good to stay by our camp and everything. Some of the kids enjoys letting them sleep on their laps and the young babies loved when they would lick their fingers through the cage... or bite them in a few cases. They slept in the car each night because it was tooooo cold for them just in the tent. The first night I was freezing! Sunday morning we have Cowboy church which is just family sharing time. They tell old stories and everyone is stary eyes just listening. Then later we have a huge lunch with every one a few hundred. our family did salads and I made a pasta salad. After lunch Eric and I packed up and headed down the mountain. We took the scenic

route to save 15 or 20 bucks in Zion. You have to pay to go through a tunnel. So we drove down through Colorado City and gandered the Polygamist! They sure are interesting people. We stopped and watered the dogs a few times. They sure do have some serious energy! Once we were home we slowly unpacked and rested. Monday we both had off and we played lazy alllll day. IT was nice for a change. I look forward to this same thing every year and I hope Eric will too. He's a little bitter the old farts wouldn't let him shoot his gun. haha He'll soon learn they are just old.

No comments:

Post a Comment